Info & History in Murphys
BONNET-COMPERE STORE (HISTORIC)
Historic building. (Now a private residence: please do not disturb occupants.) Plaque reads: "Built in 1858 by Pierra Bonet with fire proof steel shutters & stone walls. Owned and operated by Victorene Compere to provision the miners. Restored and preserved as a private residence in 1938. (1977 ECV)".
BROWNSVILLE HISTORIC MARKER
Site of mining camp on Pennsylvania Gulch that existed in the 1850s and 60s. Each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not exceeding 150 square feet.
E. CLAMPUS VITUS WALL OF COMPARATIVE OVATIONS
This wall has over 70 plaques devoted to historical figures, done in a humorous way by the late San Francisco Bay Area artist William Gordon Huff. Its hard to tell which of the stories are true and which are made up. Toward the back is a historic "hydraulic monitor"--a device used to shoot water at high pressure in hydraulic mining, before it was outlawed.
E. CLAMPUS VITUS SALOON HISTORICAL MARKER
Site of E.C.V. Saloon. Plaque reads: "Near this spot the 'E.C.V. Saloon' stood in 1853. Believed to be the only E. Clampus Vitus (miner's fun fraternal order) saloon officially recorded. Dedicated 1965 Grand Council E.C.V."
MICHELSON HISTORIC MARKER
Plaque reads: "Albert A. Michelson 1852-1931. First American scientist awarded the Nobel Prize (Physics 1907); Dean of American optics; Measured velocity of light, ether drift, standard meter, steller diameter, lived here during childhood."
MURPHYS HISTORICAL MARKER
Plaque reads: "One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass. Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20,000,000 dollars in gold. Early regulation restricted claims to 8 ft square. Suspension flume conveying water across Murphys Creek & drainage race draining the flat were two outstanding accomplishments of early day miners. ..."
Small library with extensive local history.
OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
Historic school house.
OLD TIMERS MUSEUM
Museum located in one of the oldest buildings in Murphys, built in about 1856. Museum includes photos, mining exhibits, Mi Wuk indian baskets, and other artifacts. Exhibit about Albert Michelson, the Nobel-prize winning physicist, who grew up in Murphys.
TOURIST INFORMATION BOOTH
Information, maps, brochures. Operated by the owners of Moaning Cavern Park.